Learn to Skate USA
Learn To Skate USA is designed to provide a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating. Stemming from the rebrand of the Basic Skills Program, Learn to Skate USA offers an abundance of enhancements tailored toward improving the experience for parents and skaters. Learn to Skate USA is the only ice skating program endorsed by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, US Speedskating and the Special Olympics.
Each level will be $89 per session/$125 P.A.L.S. per session and includes eight half-hour lessons and eight half-hour practices and registration to Learn to Skate USA. Skaters will also receive three free public skating punches per session.
We strongly recommend that children in Snowplow Sam and P.A.L.S. classes wear a helmet (bike helmets work well), gloves and snow pants. All participants are required to wear gloves or mittens. Participants can provide their own skates or rental skates are available $3. No double blades. Lakeville Arenas also offers skate sharpening for $4 per pair of skates. Rental skates are best for first-time skaters. Hockey skates are not recommended.
- Fall: October - December
- Winter: January - March
- Spring: March - May
- Summer: June - August
- Learn to Skate summer camp (PDF)
There are four ways to register for classes:
- Phone: Register over the telephone by calling the City of Lakeville Parks & Recreation Department at 952-985-4600.
- Online: Register online by visiting the City of Lakeville Parks & Recreation website.
- Mail: Fill out a registration form (PDF) and mail to the City of Lakeville Parks and Recreation Department.
- Walk-in: Register in person by visiting the Lakeville City Hall Parks & Recreation Department at 20195 Holyoke Avenue.
Fall and Winter Sessions
Lakeville Hasse Arena Rink Number 3
8525 215th Street
Lakeville, MN 55044
Spring and Summer Sessions
Lakeville Ames Arena
19900 Ipava Avenue
Lakeville, MN 55044
Which Class Should My Skater Register for?
If your child is 3-5 years old and has never skated before, register for the Snow Plow Sam class. If you are unsure about which class to register for, send an email or call 612-968-0403.
- Snowplow Sam: (3-5 years old) Designed to develop preliminary coordination and strength necessary to move on skates.
- The Basic 8: These eight levels of the program introduce the fundamental figure skating moves, forward skating, backward skating, stops, crossovers and turns. Upon completion of the Basic 1-8 levels, skaters will have the basic knowledge of the sport to advance to the Free Skate levels.
- Basic 1: Designed for figure skaters 6 and older with little or no skating experience. Will work on forward/backward skating and stopping.
- Basic 2-3: Designed for those figure skaters that have passed Basic 1 or Snow Plow Sam. Will work on backwards, turning and introduction to spins.
- Basic 4-5: Designed for those figure skaters that have passed Basic 3. Will work on edges, crossovers and stroking.
- Basic 6,7, 8: Designed for those figure skaters that have passed Basic 5. Will work on spirals, footwork and introduction to jumping.
- Hockey 1-2: Fundamentals of hockey skating, skaters will learn to move faster and be more agile on the ice. All elements will be taught without a stick or puck. Will work on forward skating, backward skating and stopping.
- Hockey 3-4: Fundamentals of hockey skating, skaters will learn to move faster and be more agile on the ice. All elements will be taught without a stick or puck. Designed for those skaters that have passed Hockey 2. Will work on turns, crossovers and stopping.
- P.A.L.S.: Parent and Little Skater, (3-5 years old) This class will teach the child and parent how to skate and teach the parent how to teach their child to skate. It's a great class for the beginning skater. The parent/guardian must be at least 16 years old.
- Adults: (16 years and older) This class is designed for the beginner skater up to the advanced. We will teach you your choice of either figure skating or hockey skating skills. This class offers a more one-on-one lesson structure.
For more information on skating lessons offered by Lakeville Arenas, send an email or call 952-985-2170.